Saturday, January 29, 2011

I want to share the stage with.....

So last week, I wrote a blog listing the people I would love to share the stage with, and hope to one day either see me perform or perform with them.

I also said that I would write something up, telling everyone why. I don't know why I've decided to do this, but I feel that I need to identify these things, both for myself, and for people that I tell these things to and they go "who's that?", or "why them?".

I need to start by saying that this is in no specific order:

1) Terrence Mann- Okay, I saw him perform in Beauty and the Beast when I was 10 years old, and loved it, and him! That show made me want to perform at all, and absolutely inspired me. He, himself is a wonderful, wonderful actor. I've seen him in other, more serious roles, such as Javert, and Bob on "The Dresden Files", and I love just watching his process, you can tell each word is thought about, and caluclated, even though someone else wrote it-he thinks each word through before he delivers it, and I love it. His stamp of approval of my performance would mean the world to me.

2) Nathan Lane-This guy is amazing on another level entirely! He's another wonderful actor I admire greatly. He's funny, he's right on the mark with his timing and he's great. I don't remember the first time I saw or heard Nathan Lane, I just know he was always someone I really really loved as a performer. I finally had the chance to see him twice. Once in "November", and twice (and soon to be three times), in "The Addams Family", and he is absolutely everything I thought he would be onstage and more.

3) Harvey Fierstein- There aren't enough words in the vocabulary to describe my love for this man as a performer, and as a writer. Harvey is one of my biggest influences, and one of my main reasons for being in this industry at all. I saw him when I was a kid in "Mrs. Doubtfire", and have been hooked on him ever since. His movie/show "Torch Song Trilogy" was wonderfully written and beautifully executed.I even used one of those monologues for my oral interpretation class in college. He has the power to make me laugh, and cry, in the same sentence. I had the wonderful pleasure of seeing him in "A Catered Affair", which he wrote, and will be seeing him again in "La Cage Aux Folles", which he also wrote. I would love to have my work evaluated by him as well, or to perform with him.

4) Adam Pascal- This. Man. Is. A. Machine! He's just a machine, and in the best way possible. I know other people share my opinion of this, but he IS Roger Davis, and there isn't another one in my mind. Not because he was the first and blah blah blah. But, because I feel that his Roger has a bit more of an edge than I've seen with other people who have tried to play the role. He's a passionate performer when he's doing his own work, and I can see in his performances, that he truely connects with his words, and his audiences. At the same time, he's not afraid to be silly and poke fun of himself occasionally. This is why I'd love to share the stage with this man.

5) Anthony Rapp- I've never seen a performer bare his soul like Anthony does. Between his book, and his one man show, and everything in between, when Anthony is onstage he lets himself just fall right into the character he's playing-even if that character is himself. He's a genuine person, and really is a wonderful performer.

6) Larry Edoff- Larry's cool. He plays the piano for Adam in his show, and in my mind is just as talented. His voice is wonderful, and I have had the pleasure to meet him and speak to him at length several times. He's always nothing but wonderful, and a really nice guy.

While this is just a short list, these are the main people and reasons why I do what I do, and who inspires me, whom I'd love to share the stage with, and whom one day would love to perform for and get their opinion of said performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment