Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Possible audition?

Today, as I was sitting at the computer, just hanging out after my morning workout, a friend of mine sent me a link: To the open call for American Idiot's national tour!!

WHAT?!!!?? Open casting call!! I'm totally totally there!!!!

But-it's on April 9th. The Heiress (the show I'm in right now) opens on April 29th, so I just need to make sure I don't have rehearsal on April 9th. If I do, obviously The Heiress takes priority and I'm right there at rehearsal. Not a big deal.

If we don't have rehearsal that day though-I'm totally at the open call! It's in Boston, which isn't that far if you think about it, and I would totally be willing to go ahead and go there for the audition.

My only problem now remains to be finding an audition song. Hey, whether I can go to this thing or not, I need to have a rock song for an audition piece, because it's called upon more often than you'd think!

I have two options in my mind that I've been kicking around:

1) Pat Benetar- Hit me with your Best Shot: I used this song when I auditioned for a local production of "Rent" back last May. It was before I started voice lessons, and it wasn't my best performance that I've ever given.

While I do have a vocal coach now, this song proves harder than it sounds, and I learned that the hard way when I attempted to sing it, solely based off of her recording.

2) Black Velvet-I have a long history with this song. When I was younger (like 16), my friend recorded this song on her old demo CD. But, we were always singing this song. And it reminds me of her, and its a lower song.

The problem I have with this one is that I'd need to brush off the part of my voice and brain that does rock songs. All of my training that I've receieved from my vocal coaches (now, and when I was a kid), were all classical Broadway songs, or pop songs, and just an edge of rock- that I had to teach myself, using the tools of the other two styles.

But I haven't had to perform a rock song in a bit, and this is defenitly a rock song.

Opinions are welcome, and all that stuff.

Either way, I'm excited!!!!!

until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment